Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Opera

We are wrapping up our stay here in Vienna this week. Monday we had class in the morning and then the afternoon we wined and dined. Tuesday however, I went to the Vienna state opera house and saw my first Wagner opera live; Siegfried, the third opera in the 4 part Ring Cycle! It cost 3 euro!! Mind you its standing for 4 hours but well worth the price to hear such a great orchestra and amazing singers. They simply cannot replicate that on a CD or DVD. What an amazing orchestra as well. By far the best horn section I have ever heard live. All 8 or however many horns they had. The timpanist was great also. Our view was spectacular and you could hear everything. It is very intense here with Opera. The folks line up every day starting at 9 in the morning sometimes, to wait all day to get the best standing spot in the theatre. The actual seats to the opera haus cost way more and the boxes are generational luxuries. Think sports in America cost money for box offices? Try the box offices at the Vienna state opera haus. You'd need not just money but family ties to someone that has a box office and some sort of aristocratic standing in society. They are not just for any wealthy man or woman. So no worries about Brittney Spears, or any pop stars having anymore chance of getting the best seats in the house. Today I head to the MozartHaus museum and the tour of the opera haus where we get to go on stage apparently! I am going to have to restrain myself from diving in to the orchestra pit to play the timpani. What a great headline it would be though! "Crazed american music student dives into orchestra pit during tour, just to be close to timpani!" I may be going to see a Ballet later this evening and the final 3 acts of Wagner's Ring Cycle tomorrow evening, Goterdammerung. Then we are done and leaving Friday morning. It has flown by and I am not ready to leave. I wish I could be in this enviornment all the time and walk from my house to the subway with my stick case in hand, and walk in my black tux, to the opera haus and perform a 4 hour opera, pick up my paycheck, and then do the same thing the next day! 

1 comment:

  1. way to go J ,we are proud of you. sounds like you are having a great time. nucle phil

    ReplyDelete